The Last Polka

"But one must know how to colour one's actions and to be a great liar and deciever. Men are so simple, and so much creatures of circumstance, that the deciever will always find someone ready to be decieved."

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Bush And Immigration

This is a few days old, but OxBlog has some thoughtful analysis of President Bush's address to the nation regarding immigration. Which brings me to this point - this is most likely a first for The Last Polka - I agree with the president on this issue. I agree with OxBlog that the President has crafted a "carefully balanced position" and has refused to "'[capitulate] to the more zealous and hysterical wings of the American right." And by the way, for all those saying that the President is a 'Johnny Come Lately' on this issue, here's a part of a press conference he held after his reelection (I believe its the same one where he discussed his abundance of political capital...oops):

Q: Mr. President, the Senate Republicans recently listed their priorities, and immigration reform wasn't on it. Do you think this means it's dead for this year? And why are you having so much trouble with your own party on that?

THE PRESIDENT: No, I appreciate that question. It will be one of my priorities. I believe it's necessary to reform the immigration system. I'm against amnesty; I've made that very clear. On the other hand, I do want to recognize a system where a willing worker and a willing employer are able to come together in a way that enables people to find work without jeopardizing a job that an American would otherwise want to do.
I also happen to believe immigration reform is necessary to help make it easier to protect our borders. The system right now spawns coyotes and smugglers and people willing to break the law to get people in our country. There is a vast network of kind of shadowy traffickers. And I believe by making a -- by advancing a program that enables people to come into our country in a legal way to work for a period of time, for jobs that Americans won't do, will help make it easier for us to secure our borders. And so --

Q: Why the resistance in your party so much?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think -- I'm looking forward to discussing it with members of both parties. I believe it's a very important issue that we need to address. I've had a lot of experience with dealing with borders, as the governor of Texas. I know there's a compassionate, humane way to deal with this issue. I want to remind people that family values do not stop at the Rio Grande River. People are coming to our country to do jobs that Americans won't do, to be able to feed their families. And I think there's a humane way to recognize that, at the same time protect our borders, and at the same way to make sure that we don't disadvantage those who have stood in line for years to become a legal citizen. And I'm looking forward to working with people of both parties on the issue.

Yes that's right, I'm going out of my way to defend this President. Pigs are flying.

Anyway, like I said, the President has clearly been speaking about reforming the immigration system and securing the border for some time now. His problem was that his post-election agenda was far too ambitious. His administration put the ball in the air with Social Security and he failed to convince anybody. The War in Iraq dragged on...then there was Katrina...Hariet Miers...Dubai Ports World...and on and on. He maxed out the little political capital that he actually had (indeed, much less than he boasted about). Immigration reform didn't become an issue again until this year, an election year. Members of the House have spent little time in session and much time campaigning and listening to their constituents who are extremely nervous about the illegal immigration issue.

This post has turned into something of a rant. One final point - the electoral implications of cozying up to Latino-Americans are certainly not lost on this president. OxBlog is right to note the following: "To be sure, there is probably much self-interest in Bush's carefully balanced position. A large Hispanic vote getting larger will not have been overlooked." Bottom Line: Karl Rove understands demographics and is trying to set up the GOP as a solid ally of Hispanic. Unfortunately (perhaps) the traditional Republican base is a bit more shortsighted.

And just for fun, take a look at the President's speech on immigration... en espanol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home